Fairhope was founded as an economic utopian community in 1984 based on the theories of economist Henry George for a Single Tax Colony. Buying a home in certain areas of Fairhope means you are part of this unique history. 4,500 acres of land in and around Fairhope is owned by the Fairhope Single Tax Corporation, home owners essentially have a 99-year renewable lease of the land their home is on, while owning any structures and improvements on the land. Read more about the Single Tax Corporation here. As a quaint community on the Eastern Shore, Fairhope has always been magnet for artists and writers. The downtown area is bursting southern charm and has numerous art galleries and street artists, gift stores, specialty clothing boutiques, bookstores and restaurants. The city maintains over 350 acres of municipal parks, including a pier, boat launch, and beach area along Mobile Bay that is famous for its stunning sunsets. Area schools are touted some of the best in the area and are run by the Baldwin County Public School System and supported by Fairhope Educational Enrichment Foundation.
Point Clear has been a resort community surrounding the Grand Hotel since the 1800s with small, summer cottages and gracious estates that line Mobile Bay. Today the Grand Hotel Marriott Resort and Golf Club still welcomes visitors and many communities have sprung up in the area including the Colony at the Grand condominiums and Lakewood Club Estates surrounding the Lakewood Golf Club, among others.
Nestled along the bay between Daphne and Fairhope, the community of Montrose is located on high bluffs overlooking Mobile Bay. The Montrose historic district, with fifteen historically significant buildings, is on the National Register of Historic Places. All are residential, with the exception of the 1890 Montrose Post Office.
An unincorporated area just minutes south of Fairhope and east of Point Clear, Barnwell offers country living close to downtown Fairhope. Many fisherman and paddlers enjoy the scenic upper part of Fish River before it empties into Weeks Bay, a fishing and boating paradise.
Find homes for sale using the quick searches below.
- Fairhope AL Homes for Sale
- Fairhope AL Bayfront and Waterfront Homes for Sale
- Fairhope AL Properties for Sale
- Fairhope AL Homes for Sale $200-300K
- Fairhope AL Homes for Sale $300-500K
- Fairhope AL Homes for Sale $500K+
- Fairhope AL Luxury Homes for Sale
- Fairhope AL Waterfront Homes for Sale
- Fairhope AL Golf Course Community Homes for Sale
- Fairhope AL Barnwell Homes for Sale
- Fairhope AL Fruit and Nut District Homes for Sale
- Fairhope AL Lakewood Homes for Sale
- Fairhope AL Lakewood Club Estates Homes for Sale
- Fairhope AL Rock Creek Homes for Sale
- Fairhope AL The Bluffs Homes for Sale
- Fairhope AL The Waters Homes for Sale
- Fairhope AL Woodlands Fairhope Homes for Sale